Set up pathology and radiology
This article describes the Bp Premier components you need to set up for the pathology and radiology request workflow to function.
The configuration steps are:
- Install third party secure messaging software.
- Configure secure messaging software in Bp Premier and share the outgoing folder in Windows.
- Set up results import
- Set up results acknowledgement, if the laboratory and request format permits.
- Add laboratories as contacts.
- If the pathology or radiology providers have their own request stationery, set up request layouts.
- Set up user preferences for providers.
If you have installed messaging software at your practice before, such as for a previous practice management package, you do not need to reinstall this software, but you will need to start with step 2 and configure Bp Premier to use the messaging software.
Pathology and radiology preferences for providers
If you are a user who can prescribe, select Select > Preferences > Pathology tab and Imaging tab to set your pathology workflow preferences. If you cannot see this menu option, you do not have permission edit your own preferences. See your Bp Premier administrator to set these preferences.
What are the supported messaging formats?
The Queensland pathology report (PIT) format has become a de facto Australian standard for the electronic delivery of pathology reports. Most Australian medical software packages that support Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) to a computer have pathology modules that can import results in the PIT format.
Health Level 7 is one of several American National Standards Institute (ANSI) - accredited Standards Developing Organizations (SDOs) operating in the healthcare arena.
3rd Party Software Applications
There are a number of 3rd party software applications that provide automated downloading of results to your local computer for import into your clinical software application:
- Fetch is a software program that enables you to download your pathology results using an existing internet connection. See www.snp.com.au.
- Promedicus also provides software programs which enables you to download your pathology results using an existing internet connection. See www.promedicus.com.au.
Note: The version of Bp Premier for this online help knowledge base has been ‘sunset’: official support for this version has ceased, including the provision of version-specific templates, old reports, minimum software requirements, and maintenance of the online help. Best Practice Software recommend upgrading to the latest version of Bp Premier, available from the Resource page of our website. Support is always available to assist our users in upgrading to the latest version.