Saffron SP1 introduced a new setup screen for configuring pathology and imaging eOrdering, and synchronising eOrdering provider contact details with the Bp Premier internal contacts list.
Previously, eOrdering functionality needed to be set up in two separate areas of Bp Premier: in Setup > Preferences, as well as in View > Contacts. The new eOrdering setup screen allows system administrators to configure eOrdering default providers from one screen.
Before you begin
Depending on how you wish to use the eOrdering setup screen, the following permissions are required.
View the eOrdering setup screen
Use the eOrdering setup screen
Configure eOrdering preferences for all users
Configure eOrdering preferences for yourself only
Install messaging software
You may need to install messaging software on each Bp Premier server or workstation that will be generating eOrders. The provider can tell you if you need to install any software (such as Fetch) and if the HL7 eOrder files need to be stored on a specific location on the machine.
Merging existing eOrder configurations with supplied providers
Database scripts are available to assist practices using providers that are eOrdering partners with Best Practice Software. The scripts automate part of the eOrdering configuration process after upgrading to Bp Premier Saffron Service Pack 1, and save you from recreating your existing providers from scratch.
Click here to open the Bp Premier Support article for more information and to download the scripts.
Access the eOrdering setup screen
NOTE eOrdering can only be set up via the server.
- From the Bp Premier home screen on your server, select View > Contacts. The Contacts screen will appear.
- Select Setup > eOrdering from the menu at the top of the page. Either the Existing eOrder Contacts Detected or the Setup eOrdering screen will appear.
You can also set up eOrdering via the Windows file explorer by selecting BP.SetupElectronicOrdering.exe in C:\Program Files\Best Practice Software\BPS\BPSupport. If you use this method to access the screen, you will need to log in using your Bp Premier user name and password.
Merge eOrdering provider contacts
NOTE Merged eOrder contacts will not retain the previous provider preferences or eOrder path and will need to be reconfigured once successfully merged. As an alternative to merging eOrdering contacts via the Existing eOrder Contacts Detected screen, Bp Premier can supply you with a script which will merge your contacts without the loss of any information.
If you have existing eOrdering contacts set up in Bp Premier, when you select Setup > eOrdering, the Existing eOrder Contacts Detected screen will appear and you will be asked to merge your existing contacts with corresponding providers listed on the screen.
When contacts are merged, with the exception of pathology user favourites, preference information is not saved. New preferences can be applied to all providers via the eOrdering setup screen. However, any providers wishing to set their preferences individually will need reinstate them manually after the merge.
The contact's eOrder path is also not saved in the merge. Ensure you take note of the existing eOrder path for the contact so that the same path can be reinstated. You will have the opportunity to reinstate the path immediately after completing the merge, If you are unsure of what path should be used, contact the provider.
Providers listed in the eOrdering setup screen are partnered with Best Practice Software, and will be added and updated regularly via Data Updates.
Follow the instructions on the screen to merge the existing contacts with the listed providers.
NOTE Perform the merge for each available provider that has corresponding existing contacts.
After clicking Merge record(s), an alert box will appear. Click Merge in the alert box.
You will now have the option to set the eOrder path for the provider. Enter the path that the merged eOrdering contact used previously, and click Save. If you are unsure of what path should be used, contact the provider.
The Setup eOrdering screen will appear.
Configure pathology providers
- Access the eOrdering form on your practice server.
- Ensure Pathology is selected in the top right-hand corner. A list of pathology providers will be available.
- Search for the pathology provider you wish to configure, and click Add. Configuration settings for the pathology lab will appear.
If the pathology provider you wish to set up for eOrdering is not listed in the eOrdering setup screen, ask the pathology provider to contact the Best Practice Software Partnerships team at email@example.com .
Configure laboratory details
If you have Add/Edit/Delete permissions set for User preferences, you can add default preferences for all providers by configuring lab details and clicking Apply to all users. You can also add preferences for other users by selecting them from the User name menu.
Once the practice defaults are set, if you have Add/Edit/Delete permissions set for Own preferences, you can change your own settings as required.
Select the user whose laboratory details you wish to configure.
If a laboratory code has been provided to you by the lab, it can be entered here.
To add the code, click Edit Code. The Laboratory Code screen will appear. Select the location you wish to add a laboratory code for and click Set. Enter the code for the location and click OK.
Tick to indicate whether the laboratory is a preferred laboratory.
Use plain paper
Tick if the laboratory does not provide pre-printed stationery.
Paper has specimen labels
Tick if the pre-printed stationery has a section for specimen labels.
When this box is ticked, the Move duplicate section down and Move labels down fields become available. Enter a measurement in mm to adjust the position from the top left that the duplicate and label sections are printed.
The NATA code will be pre-populated and cannot be changed.
Apply to all users
Click if you wish to apply these setting for all users.
Configure preferred address details for a laboratory
To make it easier for patients to find the closest laboratory, Providers can include the address of a nearby preferred laboratory on printed copies of eOrdering requests.
- Select View > Contacts or press F11 from the main Bp Premier screen. The Contacts screen will be displayed.
- Search for the Pathology or Imaging Laboratory and click Edit.
- Based on the information the laboratory has given to Best Practice Software, the Addresses section will already have one address filled in. Click Add and Enter the details for the Preferred Local Laboratory and click Save.
- The newly Added address and Contact information will appear on the Printed eOrdering request when the laboratory layout is set to Plain paper.
- From the Contacts screen, select Setup > eOrdering from the menu at the top of the page. The Setup eOrdering screen will appear.
- Locate the Laboratory under the Configured Providers section and click Edit.
- If all Providers use the Plain Paper format, click Apply to all users; otherwise, configure each relevant user individually, then click Save.
- Click Save on the Setup eOrdering Utility screen to confirm the changes are applied.
NOTE There is no restriction on how many additional addresses can be added to a contact. However, only one of them will be visible on the eOrdering request. The address will be taken from the first custom entry made in the address details.
NOTE Users must first log out of Bp Premier and then log back in for the updates to take effect.
Configure favourite tests
- From the Favourite tests: menu, select either User favourites or Generic favourites. User favourites are configured for the selected user only, whilst generic favourites are specific to the laboratory, but are available to all users.
- Click Add. The Add New Favourite Test screen will appear.
- Enter a Favourite name and click Add to create a combination of tests, or select Use test name if you just want to use the name of the test for its title.
Configure eOrder details
- Enter the path on the machine to store electronic requests, or browse to the folder you wish to use by clicking the ellipsis button. The pathology laboratory can tell you if eOrder files need to be in a specific folder.
- The Import test list button allows you to manually update the test list for the NATA code.
- Test lists are updated with each Bp Premier data update; you will very rarely be required to manually update the list.
- If the pathology lab has supplied you with a list of recommended tests, click Import recommended tests and supply the location of the recommended tests .csv file.
- Select Save to move the pathology provider into the Configured Providers panel.
If the nominated folder does not exist, Bp Premier will create the folder.
Some labs may supply a default eOrder path, so if the field is pre-populated, then this is the default path set by the lab. It is recommended that you keep the default eOrder path if one has been supplied.
Testing eOrder generation
- Test creating an eOrder request from both the server and a client machine after setting your eOrder provider.
- Before making requests, make sure the BP Messaging Service is set up and operational. See Set up Bp Messaging Service for more information.
- Confirm that the ORM HL7 files are being successfully generated to the file path set for the lab.
- The following script, which displays the eOrder records and reports their status, can be used to determine whether the creation was successful or failed as a result of an issue.
Remove a configured provider
- From either the pathology or imaging provider screen, select Remove next to the provider you wish to remove. A message will appear asking for confirmation that you wish to remove the provider, and if the provider's contact record should be deleted.
- Select Delete linked contact record if you wish to delete the contact record as well, and click Yes to remove the provider.
If you choose to remove the e-ordering provider, but you do not wish to delete the provider's contact record, supplied information such as the provider's address will still be removed.
Last updated 30 April 2021